1 / 6
1. Take a scenic drive up the Lee Valley, Aniseed Valley or Matai Valley and enjoy one of the many swimming spots we have on offer. There are many picnic area's so dont forget to pack some food and a blanket. If you don’t have a car the Maitai Valley has many swimming spots within walking distance of the city.
2. We have 25 boutique wineries all within a short drive from Nelson City. Maps are free for you to pick up from the Nelson i-SITE if you want to do a self drive option, or many guided options to please all budgets.
3. Cable Bay is 25 Minute drive from Nelson and a beautiful pebble/stone beach. Another gorgeous picnic spot, during the summer months there is a cafe for you for lunch or coffee. Take a stroll along the Cable Bay walkway to the lookout, or for the more adventurous try the whole track and make a day of it. Remember to check out if its open first at the Nelson i-SITE.
4. We have horse trekking to please all riding abilities. Hour, half and full day option's available. Some options can help you arrange transport.
5. Happy Valley Adventures have something for everyone. Horse riding, Quad biking, paint ball and the sky wire. There is a cafe for some nibbles before or after your adventure. Transport can also be arranged.
6. Nelson is surrounded by Arts and Crafts a plenty. Guides to find these hidden gems are a plenty and can be picked up from any of the local i-SITES. Cheese's and olive oils, wine and hand made chocolates are some of the taste sensations on offer also. There are many workshops for you to try if you want to unleash your creative side. Enjoy!!!
7. Rabbit Island is a recreational reserve and the perfect spot for a bit of relaxing. Enjoy the sun on the beautiful beach front and take a dip in the inviting water. Large grassy areas set up for picnics with BBQ's supplied make for a prefect lunch stop. Take your mountain bike and enjoy some of the tracks around the Island, there is a track to please everyone. These are available for hire within Nelson.
8. We are spoilt for choice when it comes to Golf courses. Many have options to hire clubs if you don’t have your own and there is a course for the friendly round of golf to seasoned professional.
9. Nelson is surrounded by four National Parks with limitless opportunities for walks. Take a short one hour stroll or get out and explore for a few days. Transport options are available and a package deal for certain tracks.
10. Nelson and surrounds have many options for mountain biking. Easy tracks for the less experienced and full on tracks for the fearless rider. You can start many of them from within the city itself.
Have you got a great story to tell? Add your own article