Cotons Cottage

This small cob cottage was built in 1864 by Bentley Coton on his 50 acre farm. Consisting of five rooms and an attic, is a reminder of the modest dwellings of early Canterbury pioneers, using materials readily available on the Canterbury Plains.

Adult
Free Entry

Contact Us

About

This wonderful historic place suffered extensive damage during the earthquake of September 4, 2010. Coton's Cottage was rebuilt and reopened to the public in 2014. The Hororata Historical society opens the cottage and the nearby museum on site on fine Sunday afternoons.

Read more

The Hororata Historical Society now manages the reserve that Coton's Cottage sits in, and they have furnished the restored cottage from their collection of local artefacts.

Drop by and be entranced by this humble dwelling. Have a picnic in the reserve.

Close

Visit our website

Map

Get directions

Physical address

Cotons Cottage, 50 Cotons Road, (off Bealey Road), Hororata, Christchurch - Canterbury, New Zealand.

Opening times

Business hours:
The reserve is open to the public during the day, however the museum is only open on fine Sundays from 1.30pm - 4.00pm
Months of operation:
Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec

Contact Us

The content on this page was created by Cotons Cottage

This website helps visitors connect with providers of great New Zealand tourism experiences. It is not intended to give any assurance that any particular provider meets certain quality standards or legal obligations. Please contact this business for more information. See also: newzealand.com terms of use.