1 / 4
The Manapouri Underground Power Station, located deep beneath Fiordland, harnesses the energy of rushing water to generate electricity. The construction of this power station was one of New Zealand's greatest engineering achievements, as the majority of the work was completed underground and in a remote location.
The excursion begins with a scenic cruise across beautiful Lake Manapouri. View the displays at the visitor centre, then travel by coach down a 2km spiral tunnel to view the immense underground machine hall and learn the story behind this power station.
- Picnic lunches available (if pre-ordered).
- Te Anau coach connections available.
Manapouri Underground Power Station - Real Journeys, Real Journeys Visitor Centre, Pearl Harbour, Manapouri, Fiordland, New Zealand.
- Business hours:
- Real Journeys Visitor Centre, Pearl Harbour, Manapouri. Open 7 days.
- Months of operation:
- Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, Nov, Dec
Pricing and Conditions
(14 year(s) and under)
- Further pricing information:
- The Manapouri Underground Power Station is CLOSED for maintenance & the re-opening date is to be confirmed. Prices valid 1 Nov 2016 - 30 Sep 2017 are per person and based on a Power Station trip departing Manapouri. Infants (0–4 yrs) carried free. Coach connections are available from Te Anau (extra cost). Access to the Power Station may not always be possible. If cancelling/amending a booking, a refund will only be given when Real Journeys receives notification 24hrs prior to departure.