Our Royal Albatross Colony at Taiaroa Head is the only mainland breeding colony of royal albatross in the world!
Imagine viewing a huge Northern Royal Albatross with a three-metre wingspan gliding effortlessly and silently near you? Giant fluffy chicks awaiting their parental feeding? Patient parents incubating eggs? Teenage hijinks?
Gain insight into the private lives of these magnificent birds on a guided tour to our exclusive observatory on the nature reserve. Views throughout their breeding cycle as they mate, raise chicks and enjoy gliding around on their three-metre wingspan at this spectaular wildlife sanctuary.
Our centre offers educational displays, a superb cafe and gift shop.
Fort Taiaroa and Blue Penguin Tours too.
Royal Albatross Centre, 1260 Harington Point Rd, Taiaroa Head, Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, Dunedin - Coastal Otago, New Zealand.
- Business hours:
- Summer: 28 Sept - 31 Mar Tours from 12noon till 6pm, Winter: 01 Apr - 27 Sept from 10:30am till 4pm
- Months of operation:
- All months of the year
Facilities and Features
- Proximity to town:
- 45-50 minute drive from Dunedin City
Pricing and Conditions
|Adult||$45.00 - $50.00|
- Other charges:
- Family rates available ($100-$110) - family is of 2 adults and up to 3 school aged children
- Further pricing information:
- *Infants under 5yrs are free of charge