1 / 2
1. In Ashburton, New Zealand, we serve it with Speights. Speights and Rakaia salmon are two local favourites, and Ashburton’s Speights Ale House may be the best place in the world to enjoy both.
2. The Rakaia is the best salmon river in New Zealand.
3. The peak of the salmon season spans the months of February and March.
4. At the Speights Ale House, the al fresco dining area (where you can dine on fresh South Island salmon) has a large walnut tree growing in the midst of the 50-seat area. It was planted by one of the Ale House’s early managers.
5. Only 30 minutes from the Speights Ale House, the Rakaia River is one of the world’s best examples of a braided river, offering some of New Zealand’s best fishing. The annual Rakaia Fishing Competition (February) attracts anglers from all over the country.
Whether it’s facts or fish you’re after, come along to Ashburton’s Speights Ale House.
Beer. Food. Conversation. Enjoyed the Speights Way.
There are so many ways to Experience Mid Canterbury - fantastic places to stay and people to meet.
Have you got a great story to tell? Add your own article