1 / 4
No visit to Dunedin would be complete without a tour of some of New Zealand's finest Edwardian and Victorian Architecture ...
First Church Otago
Completed in 1875, building the church began in 1867 on the back of R. A. Lawson’s architectural design. The gothic style of the church face was constructed with Oamaru stone and in 1873, Lawson sighted the spire had a lean and was too short and had to be dismantled and rebuilt. Louis John Godfrey carved the inside and outside of the building, which can be located on Moray Place.
Dunedin Railway Station
Regarded as the most photographed building in the New Zealand, the Railway Station was constructed in 1906. Designed by George Alexander Troup, a notable feature of the station is the domed location at the SW corner of the building, as well as the stained glass windows depicting locomotives and tiled arches that engulf the ticket boxes. This beautiful structure, along with its blossoming and impressive garden, can be viewed and experienced at ANZAC Square.
The Dunedin Prison was the second Dunedin gaol to be built and completed in 1898. The structure was designed by John Campbell with a similar feel to London’s Scotland Yard. The prison was constructed with contrasting red and pale exterior colours and a fine example of Edwardian-neo-Baroque. The Castle St property is administered by the Dunedin Prison Charitable Trust with the intention of transforming it into a tourist attraction.
Dunedin Town Hall
Completed in 1880 and designed by R. A. Lawson in 1878, the chambers have been altered throughout its standing including the removal and replacement in 1919 of the buildings front steps and its bell tower in 1963. The chambers set the scene for incorporating New Zealand’s first City Council, and is home to 'Norma' - an original symphonic pipe organ built in 1919 that is still operational. The building also contains the Dunedin Town Hall which reopened in April 2013 after an extensive refurbishment project.
Set high above the harbour in 14 hectare garden and grounds which has been recognised as a Garden of International Significance, no visit to Dunedin when driving along the Otago peninsula is complete without a visit to one of the Dunedin’s finest buildings.
Olveston Historic Home
New Zealand’s finest Edwardian home, Olveston was designed by acclaimed English architect Sir Ernest George and completed in 1906. The 35 room mansion was designed for Dunedin Businessman, collector and philanthropist David Theomin and his family in the early 1900s. Gifted to the citizens of Dunedin in 1966, the house was given furnished with the original contents. The house and its acre of garden, recently listed as a Garden of National Significance, is located at 42 Royal Terrace, a short walk (up-hill) from the Octagon.
Speight’s Brewery and Ale House
Speight’s have been brewing beer on the site since 1876. Speight’s gained international recognition by winning the fledgling brewery award at the Sydney International Exhibition and became New Zealand’s largest brewery in 1887. Speight’s provides tours of the brewery and is joined by the Speight’s Ale House, where visitors can enjoy the ‘Pride of the South’s’ brew and large, hearty meals. The brewery tour and Alehouse can be found on Rattray St, off Princes St down from the Octagon.
St Paul’s Cathedral
Completed in 1919, the Cathedral was designed by Sedding and Wheatly and replaced the Parish Church of St Paul. Construction of the Cathedral began in 1915 with funds for the project running out before there crossing and chancel were built. The Cathedral can be located at the top of the Octagon.
Toitu - Otago Settlers Museum
A recently renovated collection of heritage buildings including the 1930s Art Deco style with rounded smoothly plastered corners and horizontal lines, the Bus Services Building was constructed at a time when few large buildings were being erected in Dunedin and is the most important Art Deco building of its period. The building is now occupied by Toitu - Otago Settlers Museum.
Have you got a great story to tell? Add your own article