1 / 5
Whether you are a fan of fishing, boating, or just relaxing by the water, Rotorua is the perfect destination. With 16 picturesque lakes and 3 major rivers the Rotorua region is an aquatic paradise with a diverse range of activities to suit everyone.
Here is a list of the 5 must see and do activities during your time in Rotorua.
- Take it all in while relaxing on the lake edge at Lake Rotoiti Thermal Hot Pools. While visiting the six hot mineral pools enjoy the surrounding beauty of the sandy beach, the clear blue lake waters and the surrounding native forest. Only accessible by boat ,the hot pools are an unspoiled and pristine, totally unique New Zealand experience.
- View the city from the lake and cruise Lake Rotorua on board a traditional paddle steamer. The elegant Lakeland Queen is a stern wheel paddleboat that was built specifically for cruising the waters of Lake Rotorua. It is the perfect setting for lunch with a group of friends or just a coffee during your visit to Rotorua.
- Hop on board with Rotorua Duck Tours to see the city and the lakes. The amphibious WWII landing craft will take you through Rotorua and out towards the lakes to see, learn and experience the history and the beauty of the city and the surrounding lake district. This is the perfect Rotorua Tour for everyone especially if you are traveling as a group or on a family holiday as it is suitable for all ages.
- The Rotorua Lake region is also a fisherman’s dream with trophy trout to be had year round on the lakes, rivers and streams. Thousands of fish are released into the lakes each year and when combined with the wild fish population you can be assured that there is a trophy trout out there waiting to be caught. Try out Rotorua Trout Guide or pop in to one of the local fishing stores to find out more about fishing the Rotorua lakes.
- For a fast and furious adventure, try white water sledging or rafting the Grade 5 Kaituna River with one of Rotorua's world class rafting companies. Located only 15 minutes from central Rotorua the Kaituna River is home to the world’s highest commercially rafted waterfall - a thrilling seven metre drop. This exhilarating ride is an experience that can only be had here in Rotorua.
If you would like to discover more about the historic sights, Maori culture and geothermal wonders, as well as the pristine lakes of the Rotorua region visit the Rotorua Duck Tours website.
Have you got a great story to tell? Add your own article