Time: 1.5 hours
Type: Tramping Track
Distance: 3.5 km
The loop combines the Suspension Bridge Track with part of the Wairoa Cossey Track. Start at the suspension bridge over the Wairoa Stream near the car park on the Wairoa Reservoir Access Road (off Moumoukai Road). The walk takes you through lush vegetation, climbing to a spectacular lookout platform above the Wairoa Reservoir. Continue on the track to the junction with the Wairoa Cossey Track. Turn right at the junction and follow the track down to the road.
What to expect:
Walking tracks will:
* have easy to moderate grades with drained surfaces, generally consisting of a compacted and drained surfaces.
* be well sign-posted with directional signs at track entrances and junctions and have safety signs where required.
Walking tracks may:
* have steps on excessively steep areas.
* have timber boardwalks and bridges over permanent wet areas and waterways.
* have seats and maintained views at areas of interest.
* Walking tracks should be suitable for people with reasonable fitness levels.
To get to Hunua:
Travel south on State Highway 1 and take the Papakura exit. Follow Beach Rd across Great South Rd and along Settlement Rd. Turn right by Edmund Hillary School into Hunua Rd. Follow Hunua Rd through the Hunua Gorge to the Hunua village. Hunua Falls Just before entering the village, turn left into White Rd, right into Falls Rd and follow this road to Hunua Falls. Wairoa Dam Drive through Hunua village, continue for 8km and turn left into Moumoukai Rd. Wairoa Dam is on the left about 1km along this road. Mangatawhiri Dam - As for Wairoa but follow Moumoukai Rd to its end in the Mangatawhiri valley.
Have you got a great story to tell? Add your own article