1 / 5
The Aoraki Mackenzie International Dark Sky Reserve is the world's largest gold-rated reserve, meaning the darkness of our night skies is almost unbeatable!
Begin with an introduction and orientation in the comfort of our Theatre Planetarium using a Digital Sky presentation highlighting unique features in our southern sky. Our informative astronomy guides then take you on a short drive (transport provided) to our outdoor stargazing site. Use telescopes, astronomy binoculars and the naked eye to put your newly acquired knowledge into practice, identifying and exploring different elements of the spectacular southern sky.
Mandarin headphones available for indoor orientation.
Big Sky Stargazing, Terrace Road, Aoraki Mount Cook Village, Aoraki Mount Cook, Christchurch - Canterbury, New Zealand.
- Business hours:
- Tour start times vary according to sunset
- Months of operation:
- All months of the year
Facilities and Features
- Proximity to airport:
- Main national and international airports are Christchurch and Queenstown
- Proximity to coach terminal:
- Daily coach transport is available
- Proximity to town:
- 322 km from Christchurch and 264km from Queenstown
Pricing and Conditions
(14 year(s) and under)
- Age restriction:
- Further pricing information:
- Children under 4 not permitted on tour. Not recommended for children under 8.