1 / 12
Visit this stunning Denize Bluff farm at Piopio where Sir Peter Jackson filmed the "Trollshaws Forest" scenes for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Here Bilbo, Gandalf, Thorin & Company encounter 3 large trolls.
See why this site has the honour of being the biggest on-screen location. Get to stand in the footsteps of the original actors while walking though amazing scenery.
Have your photo exactly where Bilbo gets "Sting" from Gandalf.
Journey along the base of towering limestone cliffs and experience the unusual rock formations, all nestled amongst primeval New Zealand bush ( forest.)
Spend 90 minutes in a different time as this special place transports you back to a primeval era.
An enjoyable tour for more than just Tolkien Fans.
Hairy Feet Waitomo, 1411 Mangaotaki Road, Piopio, Hamilton - Waikato, 3971, New Zealand.
- Business hours:
- Tours twice daily, 10am & 1pm. Please check in 15 minutes before departure. Bookings advisable.
- Months of operation:
- All months of the year
Facilities and Features
- Proximity to airport:
- from Hamilton airport = 98km or 1hr 20min
- Proximity to coach terminal:
- 37km from Te Kuiti or 35 mins
- Proximity to town:
- 15km from Piopio or 15 mins
Pricing and Conditions
- Further pricing information:
- Please arrive at least 15 minutes before the tour begins. Walking tracks are gravel and over uneven ground. We advise you wear suitable footwear. Tour runs in all weather, so bring appropriate clothing i.e. sunhat or raincoat. From time to time, due to unexpected circumstances, we may be unable to run tours. Please book to avoid disappointment.