1 / 7
Take a half hour 4Wheel drive from the Farm Barn Café through safe,rural and scenic back roads of the expansive high country. Your destination is to visit New Zealand's oldest surviving shepherd's hut, the 150 year old Sutherlands' Hut, on Four Peaks Station.
Be taken back over 150 years to a time when shepherds worked in this remote environment on foot and horseback, sheltering in huts.
See a real shepherd working with sheep dogs to guide a flock of high country sheep. Breathe in the pristine high country air and enjoy a delicious ‘kiwi’ picnic lunch.
Chat with your hosts, learn about farming their 5,300 hectare station, and how times have changed over the past century.
This is a 2 - 3 hour unique high country excursion.
Sutherland's Hut Experience, 4 Mount Michael Road, Geraldine-Fairlie Highway, RD 17, Fairlie, Christchurch - Canterbury, New Zealand.
- Business hours:
- 10.30am - 12:30pm
- Months of operation:
- Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, Oct, Nov, Dec
Facilities and Features
- Proximity to airport:
- 2 hours to Christchurch airport
- Proximity to coach terminal:
- Coaches and buses do drop-offs and pick-ups in Fairlie
- Proximity to town:
- 8km to nearest town of Fairlie
Pricing and Conditions
(10 year(s) and under)
- Other charges:
- Minimum 2 people; maximum 8 people
- Further pricing information:
- All drives are subject to weather conditions. Children under 18 years of age are not permitted to fly without an adult.