Taupo Courthouse & Tapuaeharuru Redoubt

Redoubt from 1870 and pumice magazine building and courthouse from the 1880's are available for outside viewing at all times.

Contact Us

About

In 1870 the Armed Constabulary built a redoubt here for defence against Te Kooti; there was never any fighting here, and it was abandoned in 1885. A pumice magazine building stands in one corner of the redoubt. The Hall (1881) nearby was opened as a theatre, and converted to a courthouse in 1887. The hall is now the home of the Taupo Kohanga Reo (language nest). Outside viewing is available at all times.

Map

Get directions

Physical address

Taupo Courthouse & Tapuaeharuru Redoubt, Taupo Domain, Taupo, Lake Taupo, New Zealand.

Contact Us

The content on this page was created by Taupo Courthouse & Tapuaeharuru Redoubt

This website helps visitors connect with providers of great New Zealand tourism experiences. It is not intended to give any assurance that any particular provider meets certain quality standards or legal obligations. Please contact this business for more information. See also: newzealand.com terms of use.