1 / 7
The Denniston Experience is a unique, interactive underground tour into an historic coal mine at Denniston, north of Westport.
Take a train ride along the spectacular Waimangaroa Gorge, over the 'Banbury Arches' and uphill into this 1880's coal mine.
Advanced audio and visuals simulate how an old mine ran. Have a go at your allocated mining job; shovelling coal, erecting pit props, hewing coal...
A ghostly hologram tells the harsh story of 'life on the hill'.
After the tour explore the Denniston Incline; an engineering marvel for it's time, taking coal 2000 feet from the plateau to the plains below. Loads of informative panels explain all aspects of this isolated place.
Limited seating so booking is required.
The Denniston Experience, Denniston Road, Denniston , Westport, West Coast, 7891, New Zealand.
- Business hours:
- Summer: Usually 9:30am to 5pm. Bookings Essential.
- Months of operation:
- Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, Oct, Nov, Dec
Facilities and Features
- Proximity to airport:
- 40 minutes North of Westport Airport
- Proximity to town:
- 35 minutes North of Westport. Allow time to enjoy the view travelling up the twisting Denniston Hill.
Pricing and Conditions
|Adult||$45.00 - $99.00|
(14 year(s) and under)
|$20.00 - $40.00|
- Age restriction:
- Other charges:
- Different pricing for the two tours plus NZ Gold Card holder discounted prices
- Further pricing information:
- Child rate applies to 5-14 year old. We are unable to take children under 5 underground. Please arrive at carpark 15 minutes prior to tour