Time: 0.75 hours
Type: Walking Track
Description: Kitekite Track is a great introduction to the majestic nature of the Waitakere Ranges. From its beginning at the car park it follows the Glen Esk Stream up to the fantastic Kitekite Falls (a great spot for cooling off during the summer months - pack a towel). Though it has a few hill sections over all the track should be achievable by most people and even has a few seats along the way to allow you to take a breather. The track surface is mostly gravel and level with few roots to trip you up, making the track a great run if you are camping at the Piha campground. The level and wide lower section also makes for a great night walk provided you take a torch. There are numerous glow worms on the stream banks and with luck you may spot an eel or two. The section of the track also combines with the Byers Walk to form a great short loop full of interpretation telling the story of the valley and its flora and fauna.
What to Expect:
Walking tracks will:
- have easy to moderate grades with drained surfaces, generally consisting of a compacted and drained surfaces.
- be well sign-posted with directional signs at track entrances and junctions and have safety signs where required.
Walking tracks may:
- have steps on excessively steep areas.
- have timber boardwalks and bridges over permanent wet areas and waterways.
- have seats and maintained views at areas of interest.
Walking tracks should be suitable for people with reasonable fitness levels.
How to get to Kitekite Track: Head along the north-western motorway. Get off at Lincoln Rd. At the end of Lincoln Rd turn into Great North Rd. At first set of lights turn right into Henderson Valley Rd. At roundabout take Forest Hill Rd and drive to end. Turn right into West Coast rd. At end of West Coast Rd turn right into Scenic Drive. Take Piha Rd at junction 200M on. Stay on Piha Rd and it ends at Piha Beach.
Haben Sie eine tolle Story? Eigenen Artikel hinzufügen