A region known for its fresh food and talented artists, the Hawke’s Bay offers a range of shopping experiences. Feast on artisan goodies, savour local wines, shop amidst Art Deco grandeur or visit local galleries and museums – whatever takes your fancy.
Stock up on artisan food
In Hawke’s Bay, food shopping is fresh, delicious and an experience in itself. Visit some of the many boutique specialty food stores, chat to the artisans themselves and you’ll discover why.
- Chocoholics will love the Silky Oak Chocolate Company in Napier. It has a museum full of chocolate history and plenty of delights for you to take back home. Another sweet delight, Havelock North’s Birdwood Gallery & Sweet Shop is a must-see.
- Tucked away in the foothills of Te Mata Peak is Arataki Honey Centre, New Zealand’s largest beekeeping enterprise. It’s a great place to buy high-quality New Zealand manuka honey.
- The Hawke’s Bay Farmers Market and Black Barn Growers’ Market should be top of your list if you’re after a real taste of the Hawke’s Bay. Meet the makers, do plenty of taste testing and pick up local delicious artisan products.
Savour the wines
The sun soaked region of the Hawke’s Bay is famous for its award-winning wineries. Don’t miss tasting the local red wines – merlot, syrah and cabernet sauvignon. They’re top-notch.
- Located in the heart of the Hawke’s Bay in Taradale, Church Road Winery is a long-established Hawke’s Bay vineyard. Sample wine directly from the cellars, and purchase a bottle or two to take home.
- Ash Ridge produces limited-edition wines from their boutique vineyard on the Heretaunga Plains. The syrah, chardonnay and sauvignon blanc is outstanding.
- New Zealand’s oldest winery, Mission Estate, was established in 1851 and offers the full wine aficionado’s experience – cellar door, historic talks and delicious restaurant.
Shop amidst Art Deco grandeur
Shop amongst the beautifully preserved 1930’s Art Deco architecture of Napier, the largest town in the Hawke’s Bay. The city’s compact layout makes it easy to get around.
- Hunt for vintage treasures at the Napier Antique & Jewellery Centre.
- Discover a curated collection of over 20 artists in the craft, design and art field at The Department of Curiosities and Fine Things. Creative innovation and off-beat design is the name of the game here.
- Opossum World is home to products made from the fur of possums. It’s a great place to find a uniquely New Zealand gift or souvenir.
Visit local galleries and museums
Looking to admire or purchase a piece of local artwork? Head to the Red Peach Gallery, Quay Gallery or Statements Gallery. All are located in Napier and exhibit quality local and New Zealand artwork.
- In the heart of Napier is the MTG Hawke’s Bay Museum, home to fantastic exhibitions and a fascinating collection of art and objects, all located within three distinct buildings.
- Take a step back in time and learn about the early settlers of the region with a visit to the Central Hawke’s Bay Settler’s Museum.