1 / 3
New Zealand's first permanent lighthouse, once run by New Zealand's only woman lighthouse-keeper. The cast iron tower, made in England, was erected on Pencarrow Head at the entrance to Wellington Harbour in 1859. Outside viewing is available at all times; access is by walking approx 8 km along an unpaved track along the coastline from Pencarrow Coast Road, past Eastbourne. The track rises steeply at the end. The environment at Pencarrow Head is rugged with changeable weather and strong winds so please go prepared with sunblock, warm clothing, wear comfortable walking shoes and take refreshments including plenty of water.
Pencarrow Lighthouse, Pencarrow Head, beyond Eastbourne, Eastbourne, Wellington, New Zealand.