1 / 2
Described as the trip of a lifetime, the TranzAlpine is truly one of the world’s great scenic train trips through the dramatic contrast of dry beech forests and tussock land on one side of the Alps and lush green landscapes on the other.
From Christchurch, cross the patchwork farmland of the Canterbury plains, follow the Waimakariri river, climbing into alpine scenery on a series of spectacular viaducts. Then, after stopping at Arthur's Pass, emerge from the long Otira Tunnel and descend through sub tropical rain forest past beautiful Lake Brunner and on to Greymouth.
Take the train to Greymouth and back in a day or make a break in your journey along the way.
TranzAlpine, Christchurch Railway Station, Addington, Christchurch, Christchurch - Canterbury, 8011, New Zealand.
- Business hours:
- Mon-Fri: 6.30am to 3.30pm, Sat-Sun: 6.30am to 3.00pm
- Months of operation:
- All months of the year
Facilities and Features
- Proximity to airport:
- Approximately 20 mins from Christchurch Airport
- Proximity to coach terminal:
Pricing and Conditions
- Other charges:
- There will be a $10 charge for carrying extra items like surf boards, bicycles or skis.
- Further pricing information:
- Fares subject to availability. See website for full terms and conditions of service.