1 / 2
United Kingdom Working Holiday Scheme
There are unlimited places available annually for holders of UK passports, aged 18 to 30, and with this visa you can live, work, study, travel and play here for up to 23 months. You can select either a 12-month or 23-month stay.
Online application service available
Applications can be made online for this scheme. You will need a valid Visa or Mastercard credit card.
Qualifying for Acceptance
- Usually be permanently living in the United Kingdom – however you can be visiting another country when you apply
- Have a passport that's valid for at least 3 months after your planned departure from New Zealand
- Be at least 18 and not more than 30 years old
- Meet our health requirements – if you plan on staying longer than 12 months you will need to complete medical forms
- Meet our character requirements
- Not bring children with you
- Hold a return air ticket, or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket
- Not have previously been approved for a Working Holiday Scheme visa
- Be coming to New Zealand to holiday, with work being the secondary intention for your visit
Questions? A few answers...
How much money do I need to bring?
A total of NZ$350 a month, or NZ$4200 for 12 months is the minimum needed to meet your living costs while you are here. A copy of your current bank statement may suffice as evidence of available funds.
Do I need to pay tax if I take up work?
Yes. If you do accept temporary employment under this visa, you’ll need an IRD number so that your employer can deduct tax from your earnings at the correct rate. For more information see Inland Revenue's Travelling to New Zealand webpage.
Can I take up permanent work and/or study while in New Zealand on a Working Holiday?
- You cannot take up permanent employment (unless you apply for and are granted an ordinary work visa while you’re here)
- You must not work for a period exceeding 12 months
- You can enrol in one or more courses of training or study of up to six months’ duration in total during your visit.
How do I find out the complete eligibility and requirements for UK passport holders?
Head directly to Immigration New Zealand to find out more.
Hopefully, we’ll see you here soon!
Have you got a great story to tell? Add your own article