Barrie Osborne: US film producer turned Kiwi
Barrie Osborne is an internationally renowned US film-maker who moved to New Zealand while working on major film projects.
Along with New Zealand’s Peter Jackson and Fran Walshe, Osborne was part of the Oscar-winning team behind The Lord of the Rings trilogy. The three film-makers won the 2004 Academy Award ‘Best Picture’ for The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.
Now a New Zealand citizen, Osborne lives in Wellington - New Zealand’s capital city is otherwise known as 'Wellywood' - where he continues his collaboration with Peter Jackson.
Barrie Osborne was involved in many Hollywood films, including The Matrix, Apocalypse Now, and The Big Chill, before working with Jackson on the ‘Rings’ trilogy.
He was an executive producer on The World's Fastest Indian (also filmed in New Zealand), and Australian film Little Fish with Cate Blanchett.
Later projects included the joint Korean-American action film The Warrior’s Way (2009). Osborne's latest productions include The Great Gatsby (2012) and Syrup (2012).
Barrie Osborne was born in New York in 1944.
After time in the US army, Osborne worked in a New York studio making commercials and gained a prestigious internship with the Directors Guild of America, working under great directors like Francis Ford Coppola, Alan Pakula and Sydney Pollack.
Barrie Osborne’s film credits include:
- Whole Lotta Sole (2011 - executive director)
- The Warrior's Way (2010 - producer)
- Outlander (2008 - executive producer)
- The Water Horse (2007 - producer)
- World’s Fastest Indian (2005 - executive producer)
- Little Fish (2005 - executive producer)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003 - producer)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002 - producer)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001 - producer)
- The Matrix (1999 - executive producer)
- Face/Off (1997 - producer)
- The Fan (1996 - executive producer)
- Rapa Nui (1994 - executive producer)
- China Moon (1994 - producer)
- Wilder Napalm (1993 - executive producer)
- Kinderspiele (1992 - executive producer)
- Dick Tracy (1990 - executive producer)
- Child's Play (1988 - executive producer)
- The Rescue (1988 - supervising producer)
- Peggy Sue Got Married (1986 - executive producer)
- Fandango (1985 - associate producer)
- The Cotton Club (1984 - line producer)
- The Big Chill (1983 - associate producer)
- Cutter's Way (1981 - associate producer)
These topics may also be of interest to you