New Zealand tops UK tourism awards again
15 Oct 2008
New Zealand has notched up another global tourism award - this time voted favourite destination by British travellers in a poll by leading UK media.
Readers of Britain's Guardian and Observer newspapers and the guardian.co.uk website voted New Zealand their favourite long-haul holiday destination in the recent annual Readers' Travel Awards.
New Zealand also won this award in 2006, but lost to Cambodia (1st), Vietnam (2nd) and Japan (3rd) in 2007.
New Zealand's Minister of Tourism Damien O'Connor said the win reflected the effort New Zealand's tourism industry had put into providing a world-class experience for international visitors.
"Only by offering authentic and unique visitor experiences and delivering high-levels of customer service will the tourism industry be able to remain competitive and deliver on its goals," said Mr O'Connor.
The win comes in the face of flattening visitor numbers from the UK, New Zealand's second-largest tourist market. There were just under 290,000 visitors from the UK in the year to August 2008, down four percent on the previous year.
What do you say UK?
The minister said the award would reinforce Tourism New Zealand's latest campaign in the UK, which aims to help maintain visitor numbers at 2007 levels over the summer season.
The NZ$7.3 million 'What Do You Say, UK?' campaign launched in September 2008 aims to give immediacy and urgency to the idea of coming to New Zealand.
Rugby ball award
It was a winning week for the country's tourism industry with Tourism New Zealand also winning gold in the Designers Institute of New Zealand's Best Design Awards for its inflatable rugby ball venue.
The ball, which first appeared in Paris for the 2007 Rugby World Cup, will further boost New Zealand's profile in the UK when it goes up in London in November to time with the All Blacks' Grand Slam Tour.
New Zealand's 2008 awards
New Zealand has had an award-winning year notching up 12 significant accolades since February. These include:
- Top country by the readers of UK-based travel publication Wanderlust for the second year running.
- 5th favourite destination by Lonely Planet readers in the Travellers' Pulse Awards 2008, up from 9th place in 2007.
- Favourite destination for fifth consecutive year by readers of Condé Nast Traveller (UK) in the 2008 Readers’ Travel Awards.
- 'Country of the Year' by Australia's Getaway travel show.
- 'Best Walking Place Overseas' in the 2008 UK Walk Magazine Readers’ Awards.
- Best International Destination in the Outdoors Magic Awards by members of the British online outdoor community.
- Milford Sound and Queenstown (South Island) voted the top two favourite destinations in the world by members of TripAdvisor.com, the world's largest online travel community.
- 'Best Worldwide Country' in the 2008 Sunday Times Travel Magazine Reader Awards (UK).
- Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) Gold Award for Tourism New Zealand in 'Marketing Media - Public Relations' for the giant Rugby Ball project during the 2007 Rugby World Cup.
- PATA Gold Award for 'Marketing - Primary Government Destination' for the 'Youngest Country' 100% Pure New Zealand international marketing campaign.
- Favourite long haul destination in the Guardian/Observer/ Guardian.co.uk Reader's Travel Awards.
- Gold Award in the Design Institute of New Zealand's Best Design Awards for Tourism New Zealand's inflatable Rugby Ball venue.
These topics may also be of interest to you