Section One Marlborough
SECTION ONE: PAGE TWO
Road - self drive
Driving distances and times to and from the Marlborough region
||Km||Miles||Approx Drive Time|
|Picton - Blenheim||28||17||25 minutes|
|Blenheim - Nelson (via SH6)||116||72||1 hour 40 minutes|
|Picton - Nelson (via Queen Charlotte Drive)||110||68||2 hours 30 minutes|
|Blenheim - Kaikoura||129||80||1 hour 50 minutes|
|Blenheim - Greymouth||324||202||4 hours 40 minutes|
|Blenheim - Christchurch||308||191||4 hours 25 minutes|
These times are for driving at 80 to 100 km (50 to 60 miles) per hour on open stretches, with a small allowance for traffic delays, petrol stops and refreshments.
Around the region:
- Treasured Pathway: a signposted heritage highway that links heritage sites along 680km of roads from Picton to Farewell Spit in the Nelson region.
- Classic New Zealand Wine Trail: a wine trail that starts or finishes in the Marlborough region and links the Wairarapa and Hawke’s Bay wine regions. www.classicwinetrail.co.nz
- Queen Charlotte Drive: a scenic route linking Blenheim to Nelson via the small village of Havelock. Drivers can enjoy magical views whilst winding past the Marlborough Sound’s numerous bays.
From the region:
- To Christchurch: State Highway 1 runs through Blenheim, Marlborough's main centre. The highway links to the inter-island ferry service in Picton and continues south to Christchurch.
- To the West Coast: Follow State Highway 6 through the Nelson region.
Blenheim airport has regular flights in and out of the Marlborough region. The following airlines offer scheduled services to and from Marlborough.
- Air New Zealand - flights between Blenheim/Wellington, Blenheim/Auckland and Blenheim/Christchurch.www.airnewzealand.co.nz
- Sounds Air - provides a daily service between Wellington and Picton. Connections are available to do same-day wine tours, fishing trips and the Marlborough Sounds. The flying time is 25 mins. www.soundsair.co.nz
- air2there - daily flights between Blenheim/Wellington and Blenheim/Paraparaumu. www.air2there.com
Approximate flying times between domestic destinations
||Approx Flying Time|
|Blenheim - Auckland||1 hour 20 minutes - 3 hours|
|Blenheim - Christchurch||50 minutes - 2 hours 30 minutes|
|Blenheim - Wellington||25 minutes|
|Blenhiem - Queenstown||4 hours - 4 hours 30 minutes|
These are approximate flying times, including connection times, and will differ depending on the airline and type of aircraft used.
Daily return services between Picton/Blenheim/Christchurch and Picton/Blenheim/Nelson. www.intercitycoach.co.nz
There are shuttle services that operate from Picton, meeting passengers off the ferry and transporting them between Marlborough, Nelson, West Coast and Christchurch.
- Atomic Shuttles - daily return services between Picton/Blenheim/Christchurch and Picton/Blenheim/Nelson/Greymouth/Fox Glacier. www.atomictravel.co.nz
- Naked Bus - daily return services Picton/Blenheim/Nelson/Abel Tasman National Park and Nelson/Picton/Blenheim/Kaikoura/Christchurch. www.nakedbus.com
- For other operator details visit the Transport section of www.newzealand.com and or see this region’s website www.destinationmarlborough.com.
Tranz Rail operates the TranzCoastal connecting with the Interislander ferry in Picton. The train travels along the east coast through mountains and river valleys. For over 100 kilometres it runs along a thin ledge of land pinned between the Pacific Ocean and the rugged Kaikoura Ranges. www.tranzscenic.co.nz
To the region:
Several ferries services operate between Wellington and Picton linking the North Island with the Marlborough region:
- The Interislander www.interislandline.co.nz.
Journey time: 3 hours (one-way).
There are three Interislander ferries offering passenger and car carriage. During the peak season the Interislander ferries offer 5 services a day between Wellington and Picton.
- Bluebridge www.bluebridge.co.nz
One boat carrying passengers and cars, 2 services per day, 3 during peak season.
Around the region:
To access the Marlborough Sounds and the Queen Charlotte track visitors will require water taxi or a boat charter services. The common departure point for trips into the Marlborough Sounds is Picton.