1 / 4
The months of May to September mark winter in Fiordland. The days become shorter and cooler, mountains become covered in snow, and the pace of life slows in the local community. Fiordland isn’t better or worse in winter. Milford Sound is made fabulous by the snow and cold, and there are many reasons to put Fiordland on your travel list. It’s really about what type of experience you want to have. Here are some reasons to visit Fiordland in winter for the opportunity to try something entirely different and get out of your comfort zone to create incredible memories!
1. Travel without the crowds – few people travel to Fiordland in winter so you get to experience the true wilderness and beauty of the area in relative solitude. Also with fewer people around your plans can be more flexible as space is likely to be available.
2. Milford Sound looks incredible – Fiordland in winter is characterised by still, clear days against a backdrop of snow covered mountains. The most beautiful vistas are experienced in winter and are a photographers delight. Our Milford Sound winter excursion is the ultimate way to experience this World Heritage destination during the cooler time of the year.
3. Wildlife – Native birds seek shelter and food in the valleys and around the town, so viewing is easier. The Kea bird in particular is a lot of fun to experience up-close. Marine mammals including seals, penguins and dolphins still frequent the fiords. The only thing we see less of is the Sandfly - making your visit much more pleasant!
4. Connect with locals – winter is a time when the local community slows down and comes together. Consequently you’ll find people are in a better mood, and you’re more likely to be invited to join in.
5. Get a Deal – as the people disappear, so does the peak season rates. Winter is a great time to travel on a budget or with the family.
If you need help to plan your stay or need further convincing do not hesitate to contact Trips & Tramps. We are only too happy to share our local knowledge, enthusiastic spirit for the area and assist with logistics of your journey.
Escrito: 7 artículos
Our small group Milford Sound Coach, Cruise and Walk from Te Anau explores spectacular alpine scenery, and includes a boat cruise on the fiord to the Tasman Sea. Experience firsthand this World Heritage area – take a small group trip with the locals.
¿Tienes una gran historia para contar? Agrega tu artículo