Nestled at the bottom of the South Island, Invercargill is a friendly city with much to explore. The city’s Scottish heritage can be seen in the Victorian buildings, its natural beauty can be enjoyed in the parks, gardens and beaches and the culture can be experienced at the art galleries and museums. Some of the highlights of Invercargill not to be missed include:
- Queen’s Park: Featuring beautiful botanical gardens, a golf course, the Southland Museum and Art Gallery, and sports grounds located in the centre of the city.
- Invercargill Water Tower: The view from 42+ metres above the city provides the best panorama from the historic building built in 1889.
- St Mary’s Basilica: The church is an Invercargill landmark with beautiful glass windows and copper dome opened in 1905.
Exploring the Southland region
Invercargill is a gateway to other popular Southland destinations and a great base to explore the region.
- Stewart Island: With over 700km of coastline, the range of flora, fauna and wildlife are not to be missed. Travel from Invercargill by scenic flight or coach and ferry.
- Bluff: Famous for its oysters, you can try the delectable delicacy by travelling only 20 minutes’ drive south to the town.
- The Catlins: Only one hours’ drive from Invercargill, the coastline, wildlife, rainforest, and contrast of the area provide a unique experience in this hidden gem.
Getting to Invercargill
Invercargill is easily accessed by driving, bus and shuttle transportation and flying.
Driving: Invercargill is only a short drive away from other popular locations in the South Island.
- Queenstown to Invercargill: 2.5 hours’ drive time
- Te Anau to Invercargill: 2.5 hours’ drive time
- Dunedin to Invercargill: 2.5 hours’ drive time
- Flying: Air New Zealand operates daily direct flights to Invercargill from Christchurch and Wellington.
- Bus and shuttle transportation: There are several bus and shuttle companies to choose from between other major cities in the South Island including Intercity, Atomic Shuttles and Connexions.
Plan and book your next holiday to Invercargill!
¿Tienes una gran historia para contar? Agrega tu artículo