1 / 3
The "Cardboard" Cathedral opened after the devastating earthquakes of 2011 damaged the old Cathedral. It was one of the first new buildings to be constructed after the quakes and has become an icon of the city that is on every visitor's "must see" list. In the heart of the city, it is an extraordinary space. The walls are waves of cardboard drawing the eyes upwards and the roof is a thin translucent skin. It is one of very few buildings in the world made substantially of cardboard, and certainly the only Cathedral! Visitors are offered guided tours or brochures in a number of languages. The Cathedral shop sells a wide range of quality Cathedral and New Zealand gifts. The Cathedral is a working church and all visitors are welcome.
Christchurch Transitional "Cardboard" Cathedral, 234 Hereford Street, Central, Christchurch, Christchurch - Canterbury, 8011, New Zealand.
Horario de apertura
- Horario comercial:
- Daily 9am - 5pm (or after evening service)
- Meses de funcionamiento:
- Todos los meses del año
Instalaciones y características
- Proximidad con el aeropuerto:
- 11km to Christchurch Airport
- Proximidad con el pueblo:
- 1km to city centre
Precios y condiciones
- Más información sobre precios:
- All visitors are invited to take a short guided tour by one of our experienced guides for a $5.00 fee. This is because the building and story of the Cathedral is understood much better if it is explained.We are doing this because we fear that visitors will miss out on the story of this building, and also to ensure that the Cathedral can remain financially viable.