Built for well-known whaler and trader John Jones in the 1840s, these are New Zealand's oldest surviving farm buildings. They include a stable, storehouse, granary, schoolhouse, and a three-seater privy (no privacy!) The farm buildings are legacy from the days of transition from shore whaling to farming.
Despite its exposed, but very beautiful location, the Matanaka Farm Buildings reflect the tough life faced by migrant families – difficult conditions and resourcefulness in dealing with such isolation.
Closed for lambing - 14 August - 1 October.
Normally: Viewing daily 8am-6pm. Access to the Matanaka buildings is through private property, please stay on the track and do not walk around other parts of the farm. No dogs (even on a leas
Matanaka Farm Buildings, Private Road off Edinburgh Street, Waikouaiti, Dunedin - Coastal Otago, New Zealand.
Horario de apertura
- Horario comercial:
- 8am - 6 pm daily. Closed during lambing.
- Meses de funcionamiento:
- Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Oct, Nov, Dec
Instalaciones y características
- Proximidad con el pueblo:
- 2km to Waikouaiti
Precios y condiciones
- Más información sobre precios:
- Access to Matanaka is through private property so please remain on the track and do not walk around other parts of the farm. No dogs (even on a leash) are permitted on the property at any time.