Get involved, “buddy up” with crew members to learn traditional sailing and wayfinding skills out in the bay. We’ll need all hands on deck to steer and sail our 22 m / 72 ft waka!
- Meet and greet with host
- Traditional Māori welcome
- “Buddy up” with a crew member, (optional)
- Head out on the bay for a sail on the waka
- Learn how to man the “hoe” steering paddle, hoist the sails and tack!
- Stories of the region’s voyaging history and its Māori ancestors, as told by our local storyteller
- Question time before you depart the waka as a member of our whānau, (family)