Just a short drive from New Plymouth, Tupare is one of New Zealand's most beautiful and distinctive gardens.
Near the city of New Plymouth is Tupare, one of two Taranaki gardens managed by the Taranaki Regional Council.
In 1932 Sir Russell and Lady Matthews started to create a garden from a gorse covered wilderness on the edge of the Waiwhakaiho River. After a lifetime of artistic creation and love, the couple relinquished their 3.6 hectare garden and gracious Tudor-style home to ensure the protection of Tupare as part of New Zealand's heritage.
Under the management of the Taranaki Regional Council, Tupare continues to develop as one of the country's most beautiful and distinctive gardens. Tupare, which means 'garland of flowers', has a number of special features, including the glade, glasshouse, old orchard and cliff cascade. You can see the snow-dusted peak of Taranaki Maunga, one of the North Island's highest mountains, from many parts of the garden.
The garden is on Mangorei Rd, near the intersection with State Highway 3. It is open daily and is free to visit.