1 / 3
Discover a place of wild surf beaches, spectacular sand dunes, giant Kauri trees and mysterious ship wrecks. Ninety minutes north of Auckland, turn left at Brynderwyn and follow the Twin Coast Discovery Highway along Northland's Kauri Coast.
Get into action
- Learn about the history of the early pioneers and their relationship with the mighty Kauri trees at the Kauri Museum in Matakohe.
- Get some real fresh air while climbing TokaToka Peak. This is a short, steep walk with amazing views at the summit.
- View the works of legendary craftsmen at the many Kauri Galleries.
- Check out the relics and treasures of the shipwrecks at the Dargaville Museum.
- Find your own historic shipwreck on Ripiro Beach, the longest drivable beach in NZ. Taking a tour with a local guide might improve your chances.
- What about kite fishing, surf casting, horse riding, quad biking and star gazing at Baylys Beach.
- Go water skiing, sailing, trout fishing or just lay in the sun at the crystal clear Kai Iwi Lakes.
- Spot Kiwi birds and giant Kauri snails during your guided night walk at Trounson Kauri Park.
- Stand in awe of Tane Mahuta, the 2000-year-old Kauri Tree known as the Lord of Waipoua Forest.
South of Dargaville, the Pouto Peninsula is one of Northland’s best-kept secrets, a place of ever-shifting sands, petrified kauri, fossilized leaves and an eerie past full of mystery and intrigue.
Chill out & tuck in
Eating has always been a huge part of the travel experience, so tantalize your taste buds, tuck in, and really get a taste of the Kaipara and Kauri Coast. Some of the freshest and tastiest meals can be found at our local Cafés and Restaurants. But whatever you do, make sure you order the local specialty at least once: kumara (sweet potato).
The Kauri Coast has a variety of accommodation options to suit different needs and price ranges. Relax at a farm or a seaside cottage, listen to the waves from your tent or luxuriate in a eco lodge. Traditional B&B’s, Motels and Hotels hidden in greenery, overlooking the beach, perched on hills or set amidst gardens and native bush, these character lodgings are a delightful part of Northland’s Kauri Coast.
For more information call 0800 15 24 72
Você tem uma história incrível para contar? Adicionar seu próprio artigo