1 / 7
The Denniston Experience is a unique, interactive underground tour into an historic coal mine at Denniston, north of Westport.
Take a train ride along the spectacular Waimangaroa Gorge, over the 'Banbury Arches' and uphill into this 1880's coal mine.
Advanced audio and visuals simulate how an old mine ran. Have a go at your allocated mining job; shovelling coal, erecting pit props, hewing coal...
A ghostly hologram tells the harsh story of 'life on the hill'.
After the tour explore the Denniston Incline; an engineering marvel for it's time, taking coal 2000 feet from the plateau to the plains below. Loads of informative panels explain all aspects of this isolated place.
Limited seating so booking is required.
The Denniston Experience, Denniston Road, Denniston , Westport, West Coast, 7891, New Zealand.
Horários de abertura
- Summer: Usually 9:30am to 5pm. Bookings Essential.
- Meses de funcionamento
- Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, Oct, Nov, Dec
Instalações e recursos
- Proximidade do aeroporto:
- 40 minutes North of Westport Airport
- Proximidade da cidade:
- 35 minutes North of Westport. Allow time to enjoy the view travelling up the twisting Denniston Hill.
Preços e condições
|Adulto||$45.00 - $100.00|
(Até 14 anos)
|$20.00 - $50.00|
- Restrição de idade:
- Outros encargos:
- Different pricing for the two tours plus discount for over 65 years
- Informações de preço adicionais:
- Child rate applies to 5-9 then 10-15 year old. We are unable to take children under 5 underground. Please arrive at carpark 15 minutes prior to tour