Time: 0.75 hours
Type: Walking Track
Description: Access to Tawhitokino is only by foot at low tide or by boat. The route is relatively easy with a short steep climb over Papanui Point. Remember to check the tide.
What to Expect:
Walking tracks will:
- have easy to moderate grades with drained surfaces, generally consisting of a compacted and drained surfaces.
- be well sign-posted with directional signs at track entrances and junctions and have safety signs where required.
Walking tracks may:
- have steps on excessively steep areas.
- have timber boardwalks and bridges over permanent wet areas and waterways.
- have seats and maintained views at areas of interest.
Walking tracks should be suitable for people with reasonable fitness levels.
How to get to Tawhitokino: From Clevedon follow the signs to Kawakawa Bay. Continue to Waiti Bay at the end of Kawakawa Bay Coast Rd. From there follow the Tawhitokino track on foot around the rocks and over Papanui Point to the beach. Access only at low tide.