One of Queenstown’s most spectacular walks and best kept secrets has to be the Mt Crichton Reserve track or “Sam Summers” as it’s affectionately known by locals.
Just 15 minutes from Queenstown on the Glenorchy road, the 2-3 hour loop track has everything - native beech forest, lake and mountain views, a pretty waterfall and stream, and interesting relics from the gold mining era between the 1860s and the 1930s, including a large sluiced canyon and a "tail race" tunnel.
Sam Summers' hut is also worth a look – it was built around 1930 by Bill Summers and was later occupied by his son Sam who prospected in the area for 10 years.
Chinese ceramic relics have also been found behind the hut, which is located on the site of a Chinese gold miners' camp. Nowadays the hut provides basic accommodation for hikers and is maintained by our Department of Conservation.
For information about hiking and guided walks visit queenstownnz.co.nz/information/walking-hiking/
For an ebook of information about spectacular South Island road trips go here
For more inspiration go to queenstownNZ.co.nz
¿Tienes una gran historia para contar? Agrega tu artículo