From spectacular underground caves to the wild coast, Waitomo and its surrounding landscape offer an experience that is unlike any other.
1 / 4
An hour south of Hamilton the mystical world of Waitomo awaits. A land of contrasts, much of the area’s natural wonders can be found below the earth’s surface as rolling hills and unspoilt native bush gives way to subterranean limestone caverns.
1. Caving, black water rafting , abseiling
2. Glowworm sightings
3. Mangapohue natural bridge
4. Kawhia’s Ocean Beach (dig your own hot pool)
5. Otorohanga Kiwi House & Native Bird Park
6. Kiwiana Walk, Otorohanga
7. Waitomo Caves Discovery Centre
8. Pureroa Forest walks
9. Hairy Feet Waitomo (where some scenes from The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey where filmed.)
Things to do, places to go, and general travel information about the Hamilton & Waikato region. Situated in the heart of the North Island the diverse Hamilton & Waikato region combines adventure activity with stunning landscape & relaxing escapes.