Activities and attractions
New Plymouth’s array of activities and attractions can be enjoyed year round. Some of the top activities and attractions in New Plymouth not to be missed include:
Mt Taranaki: The volcano is located in rainforest terrain and you have your choice for outdoor activities on the mountain.
- Skiing and snowboarding: During the winter months, the Manganui Ski Area is open with terrain for all levels.
Egmont National Park: To the southeast of Mt Taranaki sits Egmont National Park which covers over 33K hectares.
- Walks: The Fantham’s Peak Walk is a 7 km challenging trail for people with moderate experience and fitness levels.
Coastal Walkway: Enjoy a walk, bike ride or run along the 10km path that will take you past views of farmland, lagoons and coastline.
- Highlights: Cross the Te Rewa Rewa Bridge and visit the Fitzroy beach – great for swimming and surfing.
New Plymouth is host to a range of events throughout the year. Some of the major events coming up in 2012 include:
- AmeriCARna (22 – 25 February 2012): Hot rods and American themed vehicles show off as they gather in New Plymouth and local businesses feature red, white and blue.
- TSB Bank Festival of Lights (18 December 2011 – 29 January 2012): Pukekura Park’s paths, trees and plants are decorated with thousands of lights and there is line-up of events filled with entertainment and performances.
- WOMAD (16-18 March 2012): Around 10,000 people gather for The World of Music, Arts, and Dance (WOMAD) which features music, good, artists, films, and much more!
Getting to New Plymouth
There are several different ways to access New Plymouth by flying or driving.
- Flights: You can catch a direct flight into New Plymouth on Air New Zealand into the New Plymouth Airport.
- Driving: New Plymouth is halfway between Auckland and Wellington and takes about five hours from either city.
- Busses: There are several different bus companies that offer routes from popular destinations in the North Island to New Plymouth including Intercity Coachlines, Dalroy Express and Naked Bus.
Haben Sie eine tolle Story? Eigenen Artikel hinzufügen