1 / 4
Considered to be one of the biggest and most ambitious film projects ever undertaken, Sir Peter Jackson filmed all three simultaneously (as well as the Hobbit trilogies at a later date) entirely in New Zealand. Shot at over 150 different locations from conservation areas to National Parks, and a few other hidden gems from New Zealand's diverse landscape.
If you can hear the Ring call to you, it's time to explore...
Top 7 Locations to make you feel like Frodo & Sam:
Tongariro National Park & Taupo Region.
Tongarairo National Park is the “land of Mordor” and is a well know & travelled hiking track. The track takes around 6 hours to walk, this area has a few iconic sights including Mount Doom, Emyn Muli or the pools at Mangatepopo falls where Gollum so proudly caught a fish.
- “Mordor” - Whakapapa Ski Field on Mt Ruapehu
- “Mount Doom” – Mount Ngauruhoe
- “Ithilien Camp” – Ohakune
Matamata, Waikato Region.
The lush rolling hills of the Waikato town, Matamata was used to portray the sleepy Shire of Middle-earth. The original village of Hobbiton was built here only temporarily, but was rebuilt as a permanent attraction for the filming of The Hobbit Trilogy, and will now remain.
- The Shire
- “Isengard Gardens and the Orc Tree” - Harcourt Park - Akatarawa, Upper Hutt
- Rivendell” – Kaitoke Regional Park, Upper Hutt
- “Osgiliath Wood” – Waitarere Forest
- “Paths of the Dead” – Putangirua Pinnacles
Nelson & Marlborough Region.
- “The Rings” - Nelson is home to Jens Hansen, the goldsmith responsible for creating the 40 different rings used in production
- “Chetwood Forest” - Takaka Hill, West of Nelson
- “Dimrill Dale” - Mount Olympus and Mount Owen, Nelson
- “Edoras” – Mount Sunday, Christchurch
- “Misty Mountains” – The Southern Alps
- “Ford of Bruinen” – Arrow River, Arrowtown.
- “Isengard, Lothlórien, and Amon Hen” - Paradise, a small village North of Glenorchy, Queenstown.
- “Anduin River” - Four rivers were used to depict the River Anduin, but the gates were filmed on the Waiau River between Te Anau and Manapouri
- “Fangorn Forest” - Takaro Road
The films showcase just how beautiful many of these locations are, and with Thrifty Tours, we can show you the best of the bunch with a variety of tours... Explore Middle Earth with us, adventure is waiting.
“Not all those who wander, are lost.” — J.R.R. Tolkien
THRIFTY TOURS NEW ZEALAND
T: 0800 803 550 (New Zealand)
T: 1 300 796256 (Australia)
T: +64 9 359 8380 (International)
T: 1-866 250 8687 (USA)
Sudahkah Anda punya kisah menarik untuk diceritakan? Tambahkan artikel Anda sendiri