1. Drive New Zealand's most scenic highway from Queenstown to Glenorchy, a winding road that takes approximately 45 minutes but allow time for lots of stops, your camera won't stop clicking.
2. Bennets Bluff, approximately half way is a scenic lookout, across Lake Wakatipu with views across Glenorchy and the Glacier.
3. Do a walk or tramp, it's nature at its best. For something short try Sam Summers hut just out of Queenstown, or Bobs Cove. The Glenorchy lagoon walk is a must, if your after a multiday or longer hike world renowed tramps such as Routeburn and Greenstone are located beyond Glenorchy.
4. Visit Lord the Rings locations, travel to Paradise. It's not to be missed. A guided tour will help you relive the magic of the trilogy films and ensure you don't miss anything. The local guides have all the insider information on the filming and set locations.
5. For the adventurous : Feel the thrill of the Jet boat surrounded by stunning scenery with Dart River Jet or Horse Riding through the Dart braided river Valley.
6. If the skies are more your style, Fly with Glenorchy Air to Milford Sound to see the mighty Mitre Peak and glacier carved valleys. Glenorchy from the skies is magestic.
7. Experience, world class trout and salmon fishing at the head of the lake or one of the river mouths, a peacefuly place to throw the line in.
8. Take the tourist route and drive to the surrounding areas. Stunning native beech forest and glacier river valleys are waiting for you to explore. Greenstone, Routeburn, Kinloch and Paradise Valley are all just a short drive from Glenorchy.
9. Learn the history of the area, rich in goldmining and sheelite mining Glenorchy has many hidden treasures to explore.
10. Explore the mainstreet complete with two pubs and a cafe or two, stop for a bite to eat and visit the jetty.
Travel New Zealand’s most scenic highway, heading deep into Middle Earth, and visit the landscape that inspired Peter Jackson’s film locations for The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Local Kiwi guides complement this family operated business.