1 / 6
Waihi Beach is a seaside town 2 hours from Auckland city and 1 1/2 hours from Auckland International airport. On the east coast Waihi Beach stretches for 9kms and is safe for swimming and surfing.
Waihi Beach is also perfectly positioned for guests to see the Coromandel and Bay of Plenty from one base. Hot Water Beach, Whitianga, Cathedral Cove, Rotorua, Hobbiton and Waitomo are all within easy driving distances ( all within 2 hours) and there is plenty to see and do in the immediate area.
Day trips to the Coromandel are common with visitors keen to see and experience Hot Water Beach and Cathedral Cove. We recommend guests check the low tide times so they can plan their trip around it and also see the rest of the eastern side of the Coromandel. Seeing the Cathedral Cove by boat is becoming more popular as increased services are offered. Driving time one way is approx 2 hours.
The caves are something else - quite magical and seeing a kiwi amongst our other native birds is quite something. Drive time one-way, approx 2 hours.
Close by in Waihi there is gold and gold mining history- the Martha Mine is a working gold mine and can be seen in the main street of Waihi.
Mine tours are available from the information centre daily.
The Karangahake Gorge is a must see. Gold mining history and stunning beauty combine to make a great day out at your own leisurely pace.
Hobbiton is already popular due to the Lord of the Rings trilogy and now even more so. Drive time approx 1 hour.
At Waihi Beach there is plenty to keep yourself occupied - swimming and surfing available all year round if you so wish. Other activities include
- Fishing - charters are available from Tauranga, 40 minutes drive
- Walking - there are many walks in and around Waihi Beach - Orakawa Bay and Homanga are great coastal walks done easily from Waihi Beach
- Golf - 4 courses within half an hour's drive,
- Mini golf - in the Waihi Beach village
- Visit 3 wineries within 30 minutes drive
- Swimming with the Dolphins in Tauranga - 40 minutes away
- Kayak to the glow worm caves with Waimarino - 35 minutes away
- Athenree Hot Pools - hot mineral pools - 5 minutes from Waihi Beach
- Check out Hobbiton day tours - a tour of the site of the hit movie the Hobbit
Honeymoons and weddings are common in summer with up to 6 weddings taking place on some weekends.
We have everything at the beach to cater for weddings - from florists to photographers and caterers and natural venues
Have you got a great story to tell? Add your own article