1 / 5
Space Place's stunning full-dome planetarium shows bring the magic to life! Each show includes a live presentation of the night sky over New Zealand.
Explore the exhibition to find out how space technology is influencing life here on earth and take a look at the southern skies through the historic Thomas Cooke telescope.
Space Place is housed in Carter Observatory, New Zealand’s longest-serving national observatory. The Observatory is named after Charles Rooking Carter, an English immigrant who gifted £2,240 from his estate to the Royal Society of New Zealand.
Space Place at Carter Observatory, 40 Salamanca Road (top of the Cable Car), Kelburn, Wellington Central, Wellington, 6140, New Zealand.
- Business hours:
- Hours Tuesday & Friday 4pm to 11pm, Saturday 10am to 11pm & Sunday 10am to 5.30pm
- Months of operation:
- All months of the year
Facilities and Features
- Proximity to airport:
- Approximately 20 minutes drive, 9.2km
- Proximity to coach terminal:
- Wellington Railway Station 7 minutes drive, 2.6km direct route
- Proximity to town:
- A short 10 minute cable car ride from Lambton Quay to the top of the Cable Car
Pricing and Conditions
(16 year(s) and under)
- Other charges:
- Gold Card Holder / NZ Student (NZ ID required): $12, Preschool Child (0-3 years): Free, Family (2 adults and up to 3 children): $45, Friends of Museum Wellington: Free