1 / 2
Get involved, “buddy up” with crew members to learn traditional sailing and wayfinding skills out in the bay. We’ll need all hands on deck to steer and sail our 22 m / 72 ft waka!
- Meet and greet with host
- Traditional Māori welcome
- “Buddy up” with a crew member, (optional)
- Head out on the bay for a sail on the waka
- Learn how to man the “hoe” steering paddle, hoist the sails and tack!
- Stories of the region’s voyaging history and its Māori ancestors, as told by our local storyteller
- Question time before you depart the waka as a member of our whānau, (family)
Waka Experiences Tairāwhiti, Berth 40, Warf 3, Inner Harbour Marina, Gisborne, Gisborne, Eastland, New Zealand.
- Business hours:
- Sailing Experiences run most Saturdays at 9.30am, (see website for confirmed dates). Weather permitting.
- Months of operation:
- Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
Facilities and Features
- Proximity to airport:
- 5.8km to Gisborne Airport
- Proximity to town:
- 1.5km to Gisborne town centre
Pricing and Conditions
- Age restriction:
- Further pricing information:
- Children between the ages of 5 and 15 must be accompanied by an adult. Guests are required to bring warm clothing, comfortable footwear, (no high heels), sun protection (sun hat, sunglasses).