1 / 4
The Waitomo Caves Discovery Centre hosts one of the best special interest museums in New Zealand.
This must-see award-winning centre explores the above and below ground treasures of Waitomo by describing the geology, the development of caves, cave life, and limestone (karst) landscapes, as well as how caves are explored and local culture and history through modern and informative displays. There are hands on activities and a cave crawl for the adventurous.
The centre features a 20 minute multi-media show Arachnocampa Luminosa, another must-see experience for cave visitors that describes the life-cycle of the New Zealand glowworm.
Waitomo Museum of Caves, 21 Waitomo Village Road, Waitomo Caves, Hamilton - Waikato, 3943, New Zealand.
- Business hours:
- We're open 7 days a week, every day except Christmas Day. Our hours are 8:45 am to 5:00 pm but longer during the main tourism season. Check our website for exact opening times during the year.
- Months of operation:
- All months of the year
Facilities and Features
- Proximity to airport:
- 1 hour from Hamilton Airport
- Proximity to coach terminal:
- Directly across the road
- Proximity to town:
- Centre of Waitomo Caves village
Pricing and Conditions
(10 year(s) and under)
- Other charges:
- Free or discounted entry with some cave tours. Call us to find out more!
- Further pricing information:
- Children enter free but must be accompanied by an adult. School groups can book a package through our education service at email@example.com