1 / 12
New Zealand’s first zoo, Wellington Zoo, is a hillside conservation paradise that leaves visitors with a sense of wonder and respect for nature, and a belief in the need for a sustainable co-existence between wildlife and people.
Chat to our vets as they treat native wildlife at The Nest Te Kōhanga, the Zoo's state-of-the-art animal hospital; meet Tahi the one-legged Kiwi and our rescued Little Blue Penguins; watch Keepers feed Sumatran Tigers, Malayan Sun Bears and our cheeky troop of Chimpanzees; and book an intimate Close Encounter with the Red Pandas, Lions, Meerkats, Cheetah, Lemurs or Giraffes.
Enjoy a range of tasty snacks and beverages from Mojo Cafe and The Grazing Post, and browse the Zoo Shop for the perfect souvenir.
Wellington Zoo, 200 Daniell Street, Newtown, Wellington Central, Wellington, 6021, New Zealand.
- Business hours:
- Wellington Zoo is open 364 days a year, every day except Christmas Day, from 9.30am – 5.00pm (last entry 4.15pm).
- Months of operation:
- All months of the year
Facilities and Features
- Proximity to airport:
- 7 minutes by car
- Proximity to coach terminal:
- The number 10 bus from Wellington Railway Station stops outside Wellington Zoo
- Proximity to town:
- 10 minutes by car
Pricing and Conditions
(14 year(s) and under)
- Other charges:
- Under 3: free, Students/Community services card holders/seniors/YHA Members (ID required)
- Further pricing information:
- For their safety, please ensure all children are supervised. Any child under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult.