Time: 1.0 hour
Type: Walking Track
Distance: 1.4 km
From Ahu Ahu Track, track (rocky and steep in places) follows cliff-top above Mercer Bay with excellent views, then descends very steeply to saddle behind The Watchman, a short distance from Watchman Road.
What to expect:
Walking tracks will:
* have easy to moderate grades with drained surfaces, generally consisting of a compacted and drained surfaces.
* be well sign-posted with directional signs at track entrances and junctions and have safety signs where required.
Walking tracks may:
* have steps on excessively steep areas.
* have timber boardwalks and bridges over permanent wet areas and waterways.
* have seats and maintained views at areas of interest.
* Walking tracks should be suitable for people with reasonable fitness levels.
To get to Karekare:
Head along the north-western motorway. Get off at Lincoln Rd. At the end of Lincoln Rd turn into Great North Rd. At first set of lights turn right into Henderson Valley Rd. At roundabout take Forest Hill Rd and drive to end. Turn right into West Coast rd. At end of West Coast Rd turn right into Scenic Drive. Take Piha Rd at junction 200m on. Karekare and Anawhata are signposted off Piha Rd.
Have you got a great story to tell? Add your own article