1 / 2
From forest to coast, the Heaphy Track combines all of New Zealand’s scenic beauty into one Great Walk. Travel through expansive tussock downs, lush forests and nīkau palms to the roaring seas of the wild West Coast.
Great Walks facilities.
Managed by the Department of Conservation (DOC), the tracks are well graded and easy to follow, with communal huts and campsites en route (booking is essential).
A reasonable level of fitness is required. Independent walkers are unguided, carry their own gear and cook their own meals.
From 1 May to 30 November the track is open for mountain biking.
Heaphy Track Great Walk, DOC Nelson Visitor Centre, 79 Trafalgar St, Nelson Central, Nelson, New Zealand.
- Business hours:
- DOC Nelson Visitor Centre - Hours: 8:30am-5:00pm Mon-Fri, 9:00am-4:00pm Sat & Sun
- Months of operation:
- All months of the year
Facilities and Features
- Proximity to airport:
- Nelson Airport is 156km from Brown Hut, 128km from Collingwood. Westport Airport is 110km from Kohaihai, 95km from Karamea. Local operators provide air transport services to Takaka in Golden Bay and Karamea on the West Coast.
- Proximity to coach terminal:
- Bus and taxi services are available to reach either end of the track from nearby towns. Regular bus services link Nelson and Westport.
- Proximity to town:
- Access to the Heaphy Track is from Brown Hut (156 km from Nelson, 28km from Collingwood) and from Kohaihai (110km from Westport, 15km from Karamea). The start/end of the track at Brown Hut in Golden Bay and Kohaihai on the West Coast are 463 km apart by road.
Pricing and Conditions
|Adult||$34.00 - $136.00|
- Other charges:
- Price includes self-catered accommodation in DOC huts (NZD34/adult/night). Track transfers are not included.