Learn more about the available visa options and entry requirements into Aotearoa New Zealand, including the New Zealand Traveller Declaration.

Aotearoa New Zealand enjoys welcoming visitors (manuhiri) to our beautiful country.

Having a valid passport, the right visa and completing the entry requirements are key to a trouble-free entry into New Zealand.

Your passport has to be valid for at least three months beyond your intended departure date, and if required, have a valid New Zealand visa.

On this page, you'll find helpful information on:

New Zealand visa options

Visiting New Zealand for a holiday

You do not need a visa to visit New Zealand if you are:

  • A New Zealand citizen travelling on a New Zealand passport or on a foreign passport that has a New Zealand citizen endorsement
  • An Australian citizen travelling on an Australian passport
  • A foreign passport holder with a valid visa for New Zealand - including a Permanent Resident visa

If you plan to visit New Zealand for a short period, you need to request a New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority(opens in new window) (NZeTA) before you travel if you are:

If you don’t meet the above, then you’ll need a visitor visa. The fastest and easiest way to apply for a visitor visa(opens in new window) is online.

Before travelling to New Zealand, you need to make sure your passport is valid for at least three months longer than your expected departure date.

Be sure to request your NZeTA(opens in new window), or apply for your visitor visa well in advance of travel to avoid delays, and only use the official NZeTA website to request your New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority.

For more information on cost and processing times, visit the official NZeTA website.

If you have a biometric ordinary passport (or electronic passport) and are over 12 years old, you may be able to use New Zealand Customs eGate service. This allows you to complete your Customs and Immigration checks faster so you can get on with enjoying your visit to New Zealand.

Working holidays

Working holiday visas(opens in new window) are available to young people, usually aged 18-30 (but 18-35 for a select few nationalities). They let you travel and work in New Zealand for up to 12 months, or 23 months if you’re from the UK. To apply you’ll need to meet the visa requirements, and have:

  • A return ticket, or enough money to pay for one; and 
  • Be coming mainly to holiday, with work being a secondary intention.

Back to the top

Work visas and staying permanently

If you’re thinking of coming to New Zealand to work for a few years, or maybe even to settle, you’ll need a work or resident visa. To get that – you’re likely to need a job.

For information about working in New Zealand, including industry profiles, tips on job hunting, and a list of job sites to check out, visit New Zealand Now.(opens in new window)

Back to the top

Transiting through New Zealand or Australia

If you are travelling to New Zealand via an Australian airport, you may also need an Australian visa – consult your travel agent or airline if you are unsure.

Transit visas (opens in new window)will also be needed for all people travelling via New Zealand, unless they are specifically exempted by immigration policy.

Back to the top

More information about visas

The visa and immigration information on this page is just a summary. For everything you need to know about coming to New Zealand, visit Immigration New Zealand.(opens in new window)

Back to the top

Find out if you need a visa

Arriving in Aotearoa New Zealand

Everyone entering New Zealand needs to complete a New Zealand Traveller Declaration (NZTD)(opens in new window) including babies and children.

Traveller Declaration requirements(opens in new window)

It’s free and you can complete it on the NZTD website or by downloading the NZTD app ahead of your travel.

You can start your NZTD at a time that suits you. If arriving by plane, the earliest you can submit your declaration is 24 hours before you start your trip to New Zealand. An NZTD needs to be submitted by the time you reach New Zealand passport control.

If arriving by boat (including cruise ships), the earliest you can submit your NZTD is 24 hours before departing the vessel’s last foreign port prior to arriving in New Zealand.

It needs to be submitted by the time the vessel has berthed at its first port in New Zealand.

If you apply for a visa or NZeTA, you still need to complete an NZTD(opens in new window).

Here's how to complete your declaration online. 

The form is available in English and Te Reo Māori, as well as simplified and traditional Chinese Mandarin. 

From April 2024, the form will be in 12 more languages: Hindi, Samoan, Fijian, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Tagalog, Tamil, Tongan, and Portuguese.

Paper NZTD forms will be available for travellers who cannot complete it online.

Back to the top

Fill out your NZ Traveller Declaration

What you can bring into New Zealand

After you’ve cleared passport control, you should collect your baggage and proceed through customs and biosecurity checks. In order to protect New Zealand and its environment, certain items are not allowed to be brought into the country, have restrictions for entry or must be declared if they are deemed to present a biosecurity risk. These include food, plants, animal products and outdoor recreational equipment.

Your baggage may be sniffed by a detector dog and/or x-rayed, and it may be searched to identify any risk goods you might be carrying.

To avoid penalties it is best to familiarise yourself with these guidelines prior to travel. For a detailed list of prohibited, restricted or declarable items, please visit Ministry for Primary Industries(opens in new window) (biosecurity agency).

Back to the top

Allowances and duty free concessions

As a visitor to New Zealand you may be entitled to various concessions and duty free entries on some of your goods. If you are 17 years or older, you are entitled to allowances for alcohol, cigarettes and tobacco. For detailed information on allowances and duty free concessions, please visit New Zealand Customs(opens in new window).

Back to the top

Where to Next?