1 / 8
After a 4WD van trip and stunning photo stops en route you will discover Pohatu Marine reserve & the largest Little Penguin colony on mainland NZ.
View the penguins returning to the bay in the wild, in a natural and undisturbed way.
Learn of this self funded 30+ years conservation effort that saved the penguins from extinction from the area.
Take part in our monitoring program of nesting sites giving you great insight into their lives and an opportunity to see the birds up-close.
Then with provided camouflage gear and binoculars watch them interacting on the water and slowly making their way ashore under our hides before darkness forces us to retreat.
Note that artificial lighting is not used as this is disturbing for the penguins.
Evening Penguins Safaris, Unit 2, 8 Rue Balguerie, Akaroa, Christchurch - Canterbury, 7520, New Zealand.
- Business hours:
- 8 am to 6pm
- Months of operation:
- All months of the year
Facilities and Features
- Proximity to airport:
- Akaroa is an hour and half drive away from Christchurch Airport.
- Proximity to coach terminal:
- The daily shuttles pick up and drop off 100 metres away of our office.
- Proximity to town:
- Our office is in Akaroa, just behind the BNZ bank at Unit 2, 8 Rue Balguerie.
Pricing and Conditions
(15 year(s) and under)
- Further pricing information:
- We have a family discounted price for 2 adults and 2 children of $250.