1 / 5
The landscape in Wanaka is transformed with the vibrant autumn colours of yellows, reds, and oranges. Visit during autumn to experience the beauty of the region. This change of season can often be a slightly quieter time of the year; following the rush of summer and the influx of skiers for winter holidays.
Wanaka has several walking trails and tracks to experience throughout the year. During autumn some trails and tracks which offer the best views of the stunning colours and scenery include:
- Glendhu Bay Track: The 15 km track takes about three to four hours to complete and offers views overlooking Lake Wanaka.
- Waterfall Creek Track: The easy 2.5 km track takes about one hour trip along the shores of Lake Wanaka to a picnic spot.
- Outlet Track: This 2.5 km track takes you alongside the Clutha River on an easy one hour journey to see stunning scenery.
- Flights: Enjoy the views from above aboard a scenic flight over Mt Aspiring, Fiordland National Park and towards Aoraki Mt Cook.
- Vintage aircraft tours: Experience the fun and exhilaration on a vintage scenic flight in a Tigermoth to see the views of Wanaka.
Wine and relaxation
- Wineglass Café: Sit back and enjoy the flavours of Central Otago at the Wineglass Café where you can enjoy views of the lake and some of Otago’s best wines.
- Wine tours: Go out to the vineyards and wineries of the region to sample the Pinot Noirs Otago is famous for.
- Ruby's Cinema Wanaka: Visit Wanaka's luxury cinema offering the latest blockbusters and arthouse titles.
Plan your autumn holiday to Wanaka to see the striking scenery set amongst the spectacular colours and stay at Edgewater.
Edgewater is Wanaka's only accommodation situated directly on Lake Wanaka. It is the perfect destination for you to experience all the distinctive four seasons that Central Otago offers. Spacious guest rooms all feature lake and mountain views.