If you're between 18 and 30 (or 35 for certain countries), and are from one of the countries listed below, you could be eligible for New Zealand's Working Holiday Scheme visa.
The Working Holiday Scheme is an agreement between our country and others that could let you work or study in New Zealand for up to a year. This is longer than a standard visitor’s visa(opens in new window), which lets you stay for nine months out of an 18 month period – unless you’re from a visa waiver country(opens in new window), in which case you won’t need a visa but can stay for only three months (or six if you’re from the UK).
And, unlike the visitor visa that only allows you to travel on your holiday, the Working Holiday Scheme visa allows you to work in any job – from fruit picking to hospitality work, or even in a position that relates to your career – or study whatever topic you want while you’re here.
New Zealand currently has a Working Holiday Scheme agreement with a number of countries/regions.
Find the eligibility details for your country at Immigration New Zealand(opens in new window).
The agreements we have are different between countries. For example, if you’re from the UK, under 30 years old and accepted for the visa, you can live and work in New Zealand for up to 23 months.
If you’re from France, Germany, Japan or the United States, you can be up to 30 years old, and if you’re accepted can live and work in New Zealand for up to 12 months.
Please note that some countries have quotas, so make sure you get your application in quickly once the quota opens. For example, Brazil has the same age and timeframe restrictions as the countries above (up to 30 years-old and a 12-month stay allowed), but there’s a quota capped at just 300 people each year.
You can check if your country has a quota at Immigration New Zealand(opens in new window).
All applicants from all countries must:
• Have a passport valid for at least three months after your planned departure from New Zealand.
• Be at least 18 years old and not older than 30 (or 35 depending on your nationality).
• Meet our health(opens in new window) and character(opens in new window) requirements.
• Not bring children with you.
• Hold a return air ticket, or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket.
• Have not previously visited New Zealand using the Working Holiday Scheme visa (or been approved for one).
• Be coming to New Zealand for a holiday, with working being the secondary reason for your visit.