Information we collect.
Tourism New Zealand requires your personal information only in limited circumstances when you:
- Submit an online form, request information, complete a survey or application through the website or otherwise submit information to us through the website or post or upload to the website
- Request a map
- Provide feedback or report a problem with this website
You may decide not to provide some or any of your personal information to us. However, if you do not provide it, we may not be able to provide you with access to certain information or services.
Advertising and analytics services provided by partners
Social Media and APIs
- We may provide an application programming interface (API) to enable third party applications to interface with our websites. Some applications enable you to interact with us through the API in a way that requires you to log in. To do this, most of these applications will direct you through a process where you are able to let the application connect to your account.
- If you allow an application to connect to your account on our websites, including if you set up your account on our website using an API with a third party social media platform, that application will be able to access information that you can see when you are logged into our websites. You should only allow applications you trust to access your account on our websites.
- If you set up your account on our websites using an API with a third party social media platform, you also consent to us obtaining and using your information from such platform.
How your information is used
We may use your personal information for any purpose which is stated to you at the time of collection or that you otherwise authorise and to:
- receive information when you submit an online form, request information, complete a survey or application through the website or otherwise submit information to us through the website or post or upload to the website
- assist you when you request a map
- assist you when you provide feedback or report a problem with this website
- verify your identity and to assist you if you forget your username or password for any of the services we provide to you via the Internet;
- communicate with you;
- analyse usage of this website;
- provide you with further information, news, and promotional material;
- carry out advertising and marketing activities and other promotional and publicity purposes, including direct marketing, market research, analytics, and surveys;
- to personalise our communications with you, and show you advertising and information through our website and other mediums that is most relevant to you and your interests;
- improve the content of this website and to customise this website to your preferences;
- track the effectiveness of our advertising by sharing and receiving anonymised data with our conversion partners; and
So, for example:
e-newsletters: the personal data collected as part of registration for our e-newsletter will be used to personalise our e-newsletter to you. That data may be used alongside your website behaviour to further personalise your user experience on our website, and in our advertising programs.
So, for example:
- We also share information about your use of our website with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information that you’ve provided to them or that they’ve collected from your use of their services. You consent to our cookies if you continue to use our website.
We will only use or disclose personal information that you have provided to us, or which we have obtained about you for the above-mentioned purposes, or:
- if you have authorised us to do so;
- if we believe that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary to assist a law enforcement agency or an agency responsible for national security in the performance of their functions;
- if we believe that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary to enforce any legal rights we may have, or is reasonably necessary to protect the rights, property and safety of us, our customers, or others; or
- if we are authorised, required or permitted by law to disclose the information.
Storage and security
Personal information collected on this website is collected and held by Tourism New Zealand. We will take reasonable efforts to protect personal information that is held by us from loss, misuse, unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. However, no method is completely secure, and while we take reasonable measures we cannot completely ensure or promise the security of any information we collect from you.
Third party advertising and links to websites
If you provide us with the names and contact details of any other people that you would like to have participate in our contests or promotions, we will also collect this information. You promise that you have their permission to provide us with this information and for us to use if for this purpose.
Commercial electronic messages
Similarly, the subscription to our e-newsletter may be terminated by you at any time by using the ‘Unsubscribe’ link found in the relevant TNZ email. Your consent to the storage of personal information, which you have given for receiving the newsletter, may be revoked at any time (again by using the Unsubscribe’ link found in the TNZ email).
Data Access and Correction
Under the Privacy Act 2020 (and other applicable laws) you have rights of access to and correction of personal information that we hold about you. This can be done by contacting us at email@example.com.
To ensure that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and current, please notify us of any changes to your personal information as soon as possible.