Information we collect.
Tourism New Zealand requires your personal information only in limited circumstances when you:
- Sign up for an account
- Request a map
- Provide feedback or report a problem with this website
You may decide not to provide your personal information to us. However, if you do not provide it, we may not be able to provide you with access to certain information or services.
Advertising services provides by partners
We advertise in a number of ways, including online through managed social media presences, and on other unaffiliated sites and mobile applications. To understand how our advertising campaigns are performing, and better understand the visitors to our website we work with partners who provide us advertising services. We may collect certain information via our advertising service providers. This includes data to help us understand how users interact with the services, serving advertising on our behalf across the internet, and measuring the performance of these advertisements. Please see the Cookie Use Statement for more information on which partners we use and to learn more about your privacy choices.
Social Media and APIs
- We may provide an application programming interface (API) to enable third party applications to interface with our websites. Some applications enable you to interact with us through the API in a way that requires you to log in. To do this, most of these applications will direct you through a process where you are able to let the application connect to your account.
- If you allow an application to connect to your account on our websites, including if you set up your account on our website using an API with a third party social media platform, that application will be able to access information that you can see when you are logged in tour websites. You should only allow applications you trust to access your account on our websites.
- If you set up your account on our websites using an API with a third party social media platform, you also consent to us obtaining and using your information from such platform.
How your information is used
We will not use or disclose your personal information except in accordance with applicable privacy laws. We may use your personal information to:
- provide you with the registered user facility to allow you to create a wish list or create articles;
- verify your identity and to assist you if you forget your username or password for any of the services we provide to you via the Internet;
- communicate with you.
We must have a legal basis to process your personal information. In most cases the legal basis will be either:
- To meet our legitimate interests, for example to understand how you use our website and to enable us to derive knowledge from that enable us to develop it. When we process personal information to meet our legitimate interests, we will put in place robust safeguards to protect your privacy and to ensure that our legitimate interests are not overridden by your interests, fundamental rights and freedoms; or
- Having obtained your consent to collect and use certain types of personal information (for example, in relation to any direct marketing activities, cookies and tracking technologies). If we ask for your consent to process your personal information, you may withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us using the details at the end of this privacy notice or using any other specific mechanism we notify you of.
We will only use or disclose personal information that you have provided to us, or which we have obtained about you for the above-mentioned purposes, or:
- if you have authorised us to do so;
- if we believe that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary to assist a law enforcement agency or an agency responsible for national security in the performance of their functions;
- if we believe that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary to enforce any legal rights we may have, or is reasonably necessary to protect the rights, property and safety of us, our customers, or others; or
- if we are authorised, required or permitted by law to disclose the information.
Storage and security
Personal information collected on this website is collected and held by Tourism New Zealand. We will take reasonable efforts to protect personal information that is held by us from loss, misuse, unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. We will keep your personal information for as long as we have a relationship with you. Once our relationship with you has come to an end, we will retain your personal information for a period of time that enables us to maintain business records for analysis and/or audit purposes. We will delete your personal information when it is no longer required for these purposes. If there is any information that we are unable, for technical reasons, to delete entirely from our systems, we will put in place appropriate measures to prevent any further processing or use of the data.
Third party advertising and links to websites
You have certain rights regarding your personal information, subject to applicable law. These include rights in certain circumstances to:
- access your personal information
- have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed
- erase your personal information (right to be forgotten)
- restrict our use of your personal information (including prevent processing for the purpose of direct marketing)
- object to our use of your personal information (including objecting to decisions being taken by automated means)
- receive your personal information in a usable electronic format and transmit it to a third party (right to data portability)
- lodge a complaint with your local data protection authority.
You can change your privacy settings at any time by manage privacy settings
If you would like to discuss or exercise such rights, please contact our privacy officer at firstname.lastname@example.org(opens in new window)
To ensure that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and current, please notify us of any changes to your personal information as soon as possible.
If you have a complaint or concern regarding your personal information and privacy, we would like to work with you to obtain a fair resolution. Please contact us using the details at the end of this privacy notice. But if you believe that we have not been able to assist with your complaint or concern, you may have the right to make a complaint to your local data protection authority.