Information we collect.
Tourism New Zealand requires your personal information only in limited circumstances when you:
- Submit an online form, request information, complete a survey or application through the website or otherwise submit information to us through the website or post or upload to the website
- Request a map
- Provide feedback or report a problem with this website
You may decide not to provide some or any of your personal information to us. However, if you do not provide it, we may not be able to provide you with access to certain information or services.
Advertising and analytics services provided by partners
Social Media and APIs
- We may provide an application programming interface (API) to enable third party applications to interface with our websites. Some applications enable you to interact with us through the API in a way that requires you to log in. To do this, most of these applications will direct you through a process where you are able to let the application connect to your account.
- If you allow an application to connect to your account on our websites, including if you set up your account on our website using an API with a third party social media platform, that application will be able to access information that you can see when you are logged into our websites. You should only allow applications you trust to access your account on our websites.
- If you set up your account on our websites using an API with a third party social media platform, you also consent to us obtaining and using your information from such platform.
How your information is used
We will not use or disclose your personal information except in accordance with applicable privacy laws. We may use your personal information to:
- Receive information when you submit an online form, request information, complete a survey or application through the website or otherwise submit information to us through the website or post or upload to the website
- Assist when you request a map
- Assist when you provide feedback or report a problem with this website
- Verify your identity and to assist you if you forget your username or password for any of the services we provide to you via the Internet;
- Communicate with you.
We must have a legal basis to process your personal information. In most cases the legal basis will be either:
- To meet our legitimate interests, for example to understand how you use our website, interact with our services, our advertising on unaffiliated third-party sites and mobile applications when you visit our site and unaffiliated third-party sites and mobile applications on which we advertise, and to enable us and our service providers to derive knowledge and analytics from that enable us to develop our website and services and personalise our communications with you. When we process personal information to meet our legitimate interests, we will put in place robust safeguards to protect your privacy and to ensure that our legitimate interests are not overridden by your interests, fundamental rights and freedoms; or
· e-newsletters: the personal data collected as part of registration for our e-newsletter will be used to personalise our e-newsletter to you. That data may be used alongside your website behaviour to further personalise your user experience on our website.
· We also share information about your e-newsletter subscription and use of our website with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information that you’ve provided to them or that they’ve collected from your use of their services.
We will only use or disclose personal information that you have provided to us, or which we have obtained about you for the above-mentioned purposes, or:
- if you have authorised us to do so;
- if we believe that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary to assist a law enforcement agency or an agency responsible for national security in the performance of their functions;
- if we believe that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary to enforce any legal rights we may have, or is reasonably necessary to protect the rights, property and safety of us, our customers, or others; or
- if we are authorised, required or permitted by law to disclose the information.
Storage and security
Personal information collected on this website is collected and held by Tourism New Zealand. We will take reasonable efforts to protect personal information that is held by us from loss, misuse, unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. We will keep your personal information for as long as we have a relationship with you. Once our relationship with you has come to an end, we will retain your personal information for a period of time that enables us to maintain business records for analysis and/or audit purposes. We will delete your personal information when it is no longer required for these purposes. If there is any information that we are unable, for technical reasons, to delete entirely from our systems, we will put in place appropriate measures to prevent any further processing or use of the data.
Third party advertising and links to websites
If you provide us with the names and contact details of any other people that you would like to have participate in our contests or promotions, we will also collect this information. You promise that you have their permission to provide us with this information and for us to use if for this purpose.
Commercial electronic messages
Similarly, the subscription to our e-newsletter may be terminated by you at any time by using the ‘Unsubscribe’ link found in the relevant TNZ email. Your consent to the storage of personal information, which you have given for receiving the newsletter, may be revoked at any time (again by using the Unsubscribe’ link found in the TNZ email).
You have certain rights regarding your personal information, subject to applicable law. These include rights in certain circumstances to:
- access your personal information
- have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed
- erase your personal information (right to be forgotten)
- restrict our use of your personal information (including prevent processing for the purpose of direct marketing)
- object to our use of your personal information (including objecting to decisions being taken by automated means)
- receive your personal information in a usable electronic format and transmit it to a third party (right to data portability)
- lodge a complaint with your local data protection authority.
You can change your privacy settings at any time by manage privacy settings.
If you would like to discuss or exercise such rights, please contact our privacy officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To ensure that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and current, please notify us of any changes to your personal information as soon as possible.
If you have a complaint or concern regarding your personal information and privacy, we would like to work with you to obtain a fair resolution. Please contact us using the details at the end of this privacy notice. But if you believe that we have not been able to assist with your complaint or concern, you may have the right to make a complaint to your local data protection authority.