1 / 2
There are literally hundreds of walks around New Zealand ranging from 5minute short walks to multi day adventures.
Based on hundreds of independent traveller reviews, here are some of the most popular walks in New Zealand.
Conditions change quickly so make sure you are well prepared as many people get caught out every year. Check the weather before you go.
Take the time to figure out what type of walk it is through the DOC website to assess your ability level.
Many of the popular walks take place in National Parks throughout the country and referred to as Great Walks; these include
- the remote Lake Waikaremoana,
- the Milford Track,
- the uber 'everyone must do it......' Abel Tasman Coastal Track,
- the Routeburn Track,
- the rugged Heaphy Track,
- New Zealand's busiest day walk the Tongariro Alpine Crossing ,
- the Kepler Track,
- the Rakiura Track on Stuart Island
- and the Whanganui Journey which is actually a canoe trip.
Short walks are dotted throughout the country, the most popular as reviewed by travellers on Rankers in the North Island currently is the Karangahake Gorge Crown Track (2 hours one way) in the Coromandel Peninsula.
Haben Sie eine tolle Story? Eigenen Artikel hinzufügen